We’re celebrating our 15th year as the official partner of Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life, and as always we’re calling upon our army of colleagues to join forces to help beat cancer sooner through walking, jogging, dancing or flat out running (for the super fit among us) along a 5k, 10k and Pretty Muddy route.
With over 300 events taking place across the UK between May and July and a full/half marathon in October there is sure to be something for everyone!
And if you don’t feel like running, skipping, dancing or walking, there are other ways to get involved and have fun supporting your colleagues who are raising money – be it through a cake sale, ‘wear it pink’ day or by using Yammer, Twitter or Facebook to spread the word.
Don’t forget men can get involved too by volunteering at the events, cheering on a colleague, taking part in fundraising activities or by sponsoring their colleagues.
We would love all colleagues to take part and we’re paying your registration fee to get you started! We’ll also give you a free pink t-shirt or vest to wear on the day so you can look the part.
Find out how to order below.
This year as part of our celebrations, look out for the Race for Selfie packs that will be arriving at your store and Distribution Centres at the end of March, which will include a Race for Life frame, message card and some face paints. Tweet, Yammer or Facebook your selfie pictures using the #raceforlife. The best pictures will receive £250 for their Social Fund.
Sign up to take part or volunteer – join the pink army here
Before you sign up there are a couple of things you need to know:
- What challenge do you want to take on? Race for Life are offering 5k, 10k and Pretty Muddy events so you need to decide which one is right for you.
- We’ll pay your registration fee of £14.99 for any of the above – but encourage you to raise as much money as possible for Cancer Research UK.
- For 5k, 10k and Pretty Muddy – don’t forget to use the correct voucher code for your store/distribution/office, followed by 16. For example if you work at 2002 Abergele store, you will type in 200216. You can search for office and distribution codes here if you are unsure.
- If you are doing the half or full marathon your code will be TESMA16.
- To celebrate our 15th year in partnership with Cancer Research UK, Fitbit have kindly donated 15 Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracking Wristbands (you guessed it – in the lovely colour of pink) as a colleague competition prize! The Fitbit will track your steps, distance, calories and even track how well you sleep. To be in with a chance of winning one of these amazing devices, all you have to do is to raise (as an individual) over £50 through your JustGiving page. The winners will be notified by Head office in writing after the Race for Life series ends.
- Colleagues in our stores and Distribution centres can also win money for their social fund simply by having the highest number of women taking part in Race for Life. To find out more details click here
- Finally, once you’re all signed up, don’t forget to link your JustGiving page to the Team Tesco JustGiving page.
About Cancer Research UK
Every two minutes someone in the UK is diagnosed with cancer.
Cancer Research UK are world leaders in finding new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer. They want to create more tomorrows for more people and are determined to keep pushing forward to beat cancer sooner.
Cancer Research UK receive no Government funding for their research so need our support through events like Race for Life to help continue their groundbreaking work and help more people survive cancer.
You can find out more about the fantastic work Cancer Research UK are doing by visiting http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/
Tips to help you fundraise
- Hold a bakesale with your colleagues or friends – you can even make this a healthy bakesale if you wish – find recipe ideas here.
- Organise a quiz and get your friends to make a donation to take part.
- Offer to make the tea and coffee more regularly and get donations for yourservices.
- Keep your lips sealed for a day and ask for donations.
- Shave off your hair and ask for donations.
- Clear out your house and auction off items you don’t need any more.
- Do good deeds for donations.
- Empty your pockets and donate loose change every night for a month
Order your pink t-shirt
We’re providing free t-shirts to all colleagues signed up to take part in Race for Life. See how to order and sizing details below:
For office colleagues: You can simply e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your size and office address – please note we cannot deliver to a home address.
For stores colleagues: You can order your Race for Life top via the colleague uniform website.
For distribution colleagues: You just need to speak to the person who usually orders your uniform, and they’ll do this for you.
T-shirts come in medium (12–14), large (16–18), x-Large (20+).
Vests come in slim fit medium (10–12), slim fit large (14–16).
Find out where your money goes
The funds you raise go directly towards Cancer Research’s work to beat cancer. Here are some examples of how the money, big or small, can help:
- £8 kits out our scientists with a lab timer, helping them to find out what makes a cancer cell tick.
- £20 buys a lab coat, box of gloves and goggles. Not only geek chic, but vital items to help our scientists carry out life-saving research.
- £70 pays for a Bunsen burner to help ignite groundbreaking research on a daily basis.
- £180 pays for one day of a trial to discover faster diagnosis and new therapies to treat brain cancer.
- £300 buys a hotplate to warm special solutions, turning up the temperature on groundbreaking research.
- £450 pays for one day of a trial to diagnose prostate cancer earlier and more efficiently.